Friday, November 6, 2009


Those who know me, know this painting, it marked a beginning. The springing, bouncing, jumping off point for taking acrylic off the page and into the sculptural realm. This is an acrylic skin, made up primarily of gloss gel and a whiff of colour, and loose liquid acrylic script. It is stretched on a wooden frame and hangs in Grace's house.
I am preparing my studio to begin again, and I am wondering where my materials will take me this time.
Curious, fearful and excited. I think this is what it is that makes me a painter, a craftsperson, and is the groundwork for becoming an artist.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! This is stunning!

    How did you stretch it without it splitting?

    Great stuff!

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tri-Art gloss gel is a very high solids gel. Meaning there is a substantial amount of the acrylic polymer giving it great flexibility and tensile strength. It's actually very difficult to split or tear it...unless of course you take it outside in the winter. At room temp, it's very pliable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rheni: I have long enjoyed your work and your books and I can't wait to see what you and your materials will create in the coming months. I have lived by your wise words that an artist can only truly be an artist when they know what their mediums can be pushed to do. I'm just starting to play with Tri-art's opacifying medium and so far, it is just what I needed to take my work further.

    Bell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rheni. I love Gel Medium and use it all the time for several totally different applications. It was actually your 1st book that got me on to it!!

    I never thought of making a skin like that. However I have thought of making sculptures with it in the past but just never have applied that yet.

    www.adamoriti.com if you want to see what you started back in 05! Everyting there us gel medium except the good leaf blossom art,

    Cheers, Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make that Gold Leaf Blossom art.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all your comments! It is humbling and exciting to read your words and see the work that my books have in some way inspired. Keep creating, everyone!

    ReplyDelete